All Teams need to arrive through the team entry gate located on W. Smith Rd (in front of Hillcrest High School). Team check in will also be at that gate. You will need to arrive and be set up by Friday at 2pm but can start as early as Wednesday afternoon. All cars must be off the lot by 2pm and no outside food and alcohol will be allowed in after 2pm. PLEASE REMOVE YOUR VEHICLE AS SOON AS ALL OF YOUR EQUIPMENT IS DELIVERED TO YOUR SPOT. All lanes need to remain open so there is enough room for all the teams to deliver their grills and for us to set up all the tents.
Gates will lock late on Friday night so if you plan to leave at any point and then come back in the middle of the night, please let me know so we can make arrangements.
If you are camping. You will be directed to your spot at Team Check-In.
Friday Night Public Sampling
Teams are given the option to serve meat to the public on Friday night. Teams choosing to do so will receive approximately 50-60 lbs. of meat for Friday night.
All teams will receive 5 wristbands for their cook team or volunteers to wear for entry and re-entry into the event. They will be put on at team check in. If you decide to cook for the public on Friday as well, you will get an extra 5 wristbands (10 TOTAL). Cooking on Friday night is the ONLY way to receive extra wristbands/tickets.
Sponsors only are allowed to hand out company info, gifts, items to the public. Teams that are only teams, are not allowed to do so. Please remember that teams and sponsors alike are not allowed to sell anything to the public.
If you have something that you would like to donate to the event, for us to sell in our “General Boar Store” to benefit the children’s charities, please let me know. We can also take donations for the goodie bags (240 total) if you are interested.
Saturday Public Sampling
All teams are required to serve to the public on Saturday from 1:15-5:00pm. Every team will receive approximately 130 lbs. of Rib Ends generously donated by Hy-Vee. This cut of meat cooks much faster and is easier to prepare for cooking to the public. Below is a picture of it compared to a pork butt as well as the description from Hy-Vee for those of you who have not cooked with Rib Ends before.
We are getting “Rib Ends” NOT “Rib Tips”
- The Rib Ends are 3 to 4 pounds each and consist of the Rib end of the Pork Loin and contain no bones.
- You can cook the Rib Ends faster and there isn’t near the prep work in shredding and eliminating the fat that you have to do with pork butt prior to serving it to the public.
To serve the public on Friday and Saturday, you will receive a box with the following supplies. Please bring anything else that you might need for cooking and cleaning.
- 1 box of gloves
- 1 plastic spray bottle for bleach water (health code requirement)
- 8 Aluminum Plans
- 12 sleeves of sample cups
- 5 trash bags
- 12 Sheets of 3ft long butcher paper
Will be available for $2 per bag at the volunteer tent and volunteers will be walking around with it Saturday morning.
Cases and kegs of Budweiser products can be purchased at the event by the case and keg. To purchase cases and kegs, go to the official beer truck, closest to the teams (will be shown on map when we have it finalized) and ask for the Beer Truck Manager. You must have proper Team Identification. If you know ahead of time that you are interested in purchasing a keg or case, you can do so on the team registration form. If you need a tub or tap for a keg, you must pre-order. They will not be available at the event.
Please review the sanitation procedures and bring your favorite ball cap to satisfy health codes.
Quiet hours start at 11pm on Friday and Saturday night. Please be respectful of the teams around you.
The KCBS Reps will be available before and after the cooks meeting to answer any questions you might have.
Don’t forget to bring your own water hose. A hook-up will be in the lane behind your tent.
People’s Choice Voting Procedure
We will once again be doing People’s Choice Voting via texting.
- Text ROCKNRIBS to 84700 (this will opt the person into the system)
- Two response text messages will come back to the voter
- “ROCK N RIBS: Thanks for joining the Rock ‘n Ribs event text club (8msg/mth). Text STOP 2 end or HELP 4 help. Msg&Data rates may apply.”
- “You can now reply with the booth number you wish to vote for. Reply STOP to opt-out.”
- The voter then replies with the booth number of their choice.
- Another auto response then comes back from the system that says “Thank you! Your vote has been received. Reply STOP to opt-out.”
- People can vote as many times as they like, but ONLY THEIR LAST VOTE WILL COUNT.